The Denver Post's collection of fall soup recipes.
- Authentic recipe for Greek lemon and rice soup.
- 1 lb thick-cut bacon
- 3-4 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 C chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 ts salt
- 2 ts cumin
- 2 ts adobo seasoning
- 1 ts cayenne pepper
- 2 C frozen corn kernels
- 2 C whole milk
- 2 T parsley, dried
- Slice bacon into 1/4" pieces. In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, fry the bacon until crisp. Use a wire strainer to remove bacon from pan and spread the cooked bacon pieces over paper towels to dry. Pour the remaining bacon grease from the pot into a heat-proof bowl to cool. Do not wipe out the pot.
- In the still-hot and greased Dutch oven, combine onions, celery, and red bell pepper. Sauté until soft and beginning to caramelize, about ten minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stock to cover. Cover the pot and allow to cook on medium heat for 30-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and completely cooked through. Stir every 10-15 minutes, and add stock as needed.
- Add the salt, cumin, adobo, cayenne, corn, and milk. Stir until heated through; try to not let it boil.
- Add the parsley and turn off the heat.
- Use a potato masher to mash the soup to the desired consistency. I prefer to make it more of a stew than a soup.
- bacon bits from cooking
- green onions
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Sprinkle hot bowls of soup with bacon, green onions, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.